Skip to main content

Allied Health provides entry-level education for individuals interested in a career in the healthcare industry. Areas that are available for study include adult healthcare, emergency care, medical assistant and related healthcare courses.

For additional information on any of these programs contact:

Tracy Rhine RN/BSN

NCCC Allied Health Director



Cheryl Burk

Administrative Assistant


Allied Health
Certified Nurse Aide (CNA)
Certified Medication Aide (CMA)
Home Health Aide

Emergency Care
Emergency Medical Technician

Related Healthcare Area
Medical Terminology
Introduction to Pharmacology

The Certified Nurse Aide or CNA is a 90-hour course is designed for individuals seeking an entry-level position in the area of adult healthcare. This course includes a study of the aging process and its related conditions and the nursing skills required in assisting geriatric residents to reach and maintain their highest level of wellness consistent with the limitations imposed by the aging process. This ninety (90) clock hour course includes forty-five (45) hours of theory and twenty-five (25) hours of supervised clinical experience in a nursing home and twenty (20) hours of lab . This course prepares students for the Certified Nurses Aide Exam.

The CNA course is the first step on the Allied Health ladder. This means that you must have successfully completed the CNA course before moving on to some other allied health classes. Once you have successfully completed the CNA course, you will be eligible to enroll in the Certified Medication Aide (CMA) or Home Health Aide courses.

The CNA classes offered by Neosho County Community College are approved and regulated by the Kansas Department of Health and Environment. [Back to Top]

Q: Do I need to have a high school diploma or GED in order to enroll in the CNA course?
A: No, you don’t have to have a high school diploma or a GED in order to enroll in the CNA class. This is a vocation class that prepares students for an entry level job opportunity in the healthcare field and therefore there are no pre-requisites for the course.

Q: I am still in high school. Can I still take the CNA class?
A: You can take the CNA class while you are in high school as long as you are at least 16 years old and classified as at least either a junior or senior by your high school principal. Your principal will have to complete a permission to enroll form to that effect. Call the Outreach office to get a permission to enroll form, this form should be returned along with an enrollment form and payment in full for the class.

Q: Do I have to have my CPR certification prior to starting class?
A: No this is not required.

Additional Information
On the first day of class you should bring your drivers license, Social Security card and a copy of a negative TB skin test given within the previous 12 months.
All clinicals are mandatory.
Any missed time must me made up within one week (7 days) of the time missed. All make up time should be scheduled with the instructor.
Students will be dropped from class after missing 8 hours regardless of reason.

The medication aide certificate is valid for two years from the date issued. To maintain a  valid certificate, you must complete, at any time during those two years, a program of 10 hours of continuing education approved by the certifying agency.  Students must be 18 years old to take the state exam.

The continuing education programs are sponsored by community colleges, vocational  technical schools, adult care homes, and associations. You may contact the sponsor to learn about approved upcoming 10-hour continuing education courses. You may also  access the list of continuing education courses approved by the certifying agency on HOC's website, (choose Health Care Personnel Resources, CMA  Resources, CMA Update Courses), or call HOC for continuing education course information.

It is important that you plan ahead so that a course is available before your certificate expires.  If you successfully complete the continuing education course, a new certificate will be mailed to you about two weeks before the expiration date of your current certificate.

If your certificate expires, you may reinstate by taking an approved continuing education course within one year of the expiration date. The new certificate will be valid for two years from the date it is issued. To maintain a valid certificate, you must complete, at any time during those two years, a program of 10 hours of continuing education approved by the licensing agency.

If your certificate has been expired for more than one year, you are required to retake the 75-hour medication aide course.

Because the continuing education course is often completed long before the new certificate is issued, it is important to inform HOC of name and address changes as they occur.  To report a change of address, call (785) 296-0060 or (785) 296-1250.  For a name change, you must submit an HOC form (Change name or address change).  The form is available on the website, or yuou may request it by calling either of the above listed numbers.  You will be required to submit documentation of the name change, for example, a copy of your social security card with your new name marriage license, or divorce decree, whichever applies.  
[Back to Top]

This course focuses on the role and responsibilities of a Home Health Aide within the home setting, with emphasis on maintaining a safe, health home environment. Providing a personal care regimen which meets the needs of the client is also discussed. Classroom and laboratory experience provided. Student must be a Kansas Certified Nurse Aide and pass the CASAS reading exam. [Back to Top]

Community CPR
The CPR course trains students in first aid for choking as well as in cardiopulmonary resuscitation (CPR) for adults, infants, & children. Certificates in CPR may be earned. [Back to Top]

Emergency Medical Technician- Basic
This program is designed for individuals interested in providing medical care to patients in the pre-hospital setting. It will provide the participant with opportunities to gain information, skills and attitudes necessary for certification and practice as an Emergency Medical Technician (EMT) in the State of Kansas. Students must be 17 years old before testing for certification. [Back to Top]

Medical Terminology
This course provides the student with the basic tools for building a medical vocabulary. It emphasizes the building of medical terms from prefixes, suffixes, word roots and combining forms. Emphasis is also placed on correct pronunciation, spelling, and analysis of medical terms as they pertain to anatomy, physiology, and diseases. [Back to Top]

Introduction to Pharmacology
The course will discuss basic concepts of drug therapy and will concentrate on major drug classifications, as they relate to specific body systems. [Back to Top]