Chanute Campus - Maps & Directions
Neosho County Community College (NCCC) is accredited by the Higher Learning Commision (HLC) and traces its beginnings to Chanute Junior College, established in 1936 so that graduates of Chanute High School as well as other area high schools could attend college close to home. Chanute Junior College operated as a part of the public school system and was governed by the Chanute Board of Education until July 1, 1965.
In 1961, State legislation provided the means for the college to become a countywide community junior college, and on July 1, 1965, Chanute Junior College became Neosho County Community Junior College, an institution with its own governing Board of Trustees. Voters in Neosho County passed a bond issue in October 1965, providing for a four-building campus, separate from the high school, to be constructed in the southwestern part of Chanute. The new facilities—two instructional buildings, with one containing an administrative center; a library; and a student center—were ready for use at the start of the 1968 fall semester. Added to the campus was an interdenominational
chapel, a gift from the estate of the late Jewel and K.C. Snyder.
Since 1968, several new buildings have been added to the Chanute campus, including two residence halls, one built in 1971 and another in 2000; a vocational building, completed in 1981; a wellness center, completed in 1991; and a multipurpose building, completed in 2001, as well as expansion and remodeling of some existing facilities.