Public Notice – Higher Learning Commission Accreditation
Neosho County Community College is seeking comments from the public about the College in preparation for its periodic evaluation by its regional accrediting agency. The College will undergo a comprehensive evaluation visit September 16-18, 2013, by a team representing The Higher Learning Commission of the North Central Association. NCCC has been accredited by the Commission since 1973. The team will review the institution’s ongoing ability to meet the Commission’s Criteria for Accreditation. The public is invited to submit comments regarding the College to:
Public Comment on Neosho County Community College
The Higher Learning Commission
230 North LaSalle Street, Suite 7-500
Chicago, IL 60604-1411
Comments must address substantive matters related to the quality of the institution or its academic programs. Comments must be in writing and signed; comments cannot be treated as confidential. All comments must be received by August 2, 2013.
The most recent self-study which was completed in 2013 can be viewed here.
Neosho County Community College (NCCC) is accredited by the Higher Learning Commision (HLC) and traces its beginnings to Chanute Junior College, established in 1936 so that graduates of Chanute High School as well as other area high schools could attend college close to home. Chanute Junior College operated as a part of the public school system and was governed by the Chanute Board of Education until July 1, 1965.
In 1961, State legislation provided the means for the college to become a countywide community junior college, and on July 1, 1965, Chanute Junior College became Neosho County Community Junior College, an institution with its own governing Board of Trustees. Voters in Neosho County passed a bond issue in October 1965, providing for a four-building campus, separate from the high school, to be constructed in the southwestern part of Chanute. The new facilities—two instructional buildings, with one containing an administrative center; a library; and a student center—were ready for use at the start of the 1968 fall semester. Added to the campus was an interdenominational
chapel, a gift from the estate of the late Jewel and K.C. Snyder.
Since 1968, several new buildings have been added to the Chanute campus, including two residence halls, one built in 1971 and another in 2000; a vocational building, completed in 1981; a wellness center, completed in 1991; and a multipurpose building, completed in 2001, as well as expansion and remodeling of some existing facilities.
The university parallel transfer program remains an important one, but state legislation in July 1980 allowed the College to reflect the fact that the transfer program was only one aspect of the total operation of the College. The word junior was omitted from the College name.
In 1979, the Kansas State Board of Education, the state-level body that then exercised oversight for community colleges, assigned service areas to the various colleges. In addition to Neosho County, the College was assigned Franklin County and most of Anderson County. In 1991, the College opened a branch campus in Ottawa, the county seat of Franklin County, using a new building through a lease agreement with the City of Ottawa. An expansion of that building occurred in 1995. In 2003, the NCCC Foundation purchased the Ottawa campus. Today, the College offers classes and other services on the Chanute campus, the Ottawa campus, and outreach sites in all three counties. Additionally the College offers courses through the Lawrence Center, Mercy Hospital in Independence, KS, and on-line.