This policy outlines a uniform set of components, installation practices, processes, procedures and operational criteria, in order to manage (802.11x) wireless LAN systems and to ensure that these resources are used in a secure and efficient fashion.
This policy applies to installation and use of all wireless LAN media and media support systems which are installed within the borders of NCCC's campus (both Chanute and Ottawa) or any remote location/office directly connected to the campus network.
General Policy Provisions
Technology Services has a commitment to provide as ubiquitous wireless coverage as possible in public spaces within resource constraints and priorities. Priorities for the installation and maintenance of wireless spaces will be determined by the Director of Technology Services in consultation with other college administrators utilizing the following criteria:
- The population density frequenting a college space, Public Service Areas that are visited by relatively large groups of users will have top priority.
- Educational or College mission-defined need for the services in the space.
Technology Services, shall act as the central management authority in regulating the installation, maintenance and ongoing management of all 802.11x wireless LAN systems used by the College, as well as spectrum management within the borders of NCCC's Campus (both Chanute and Ottawa) or any remote location/office directly connected to the campus network.
- All end-user devices or systems connecting to the enterprise network distribution infrastructure must comply with the same policies, procedures, and practices governing the use and operation of any end user device or system connecting to the college wired network.
- All WLAN access point purchases shall be coordinated through Technology Services.
- All WLAN systems shall be considered College Systems and as such shall be made available to all College constituents.
- All WLANs will be operated in such a manner that they do not interfere with other WLANs or the College’s enterprise wired data network.
- All wireless network access shall utilize the enterprise authentication, authorization and encryption mechanisms prescribed by Technology Services.
- No WLAN may be placed into operation without advance consultation and registration with Technology Services.
- Departments shall request installation, repair, replacement or the move of an existing access point from Technology Services.
Technology Services Responsibilities
- Technology Services is responsible for establishing and maintaining standards for 802.11x wireless access points (equipment and installation) for use at the College.
- All WLAN systems shall be installed, configured and managed by Technology Services.
- Technology Services will maintain a database of access points and their locations.
- Technology Services will attempt to resolve frequency coordination problems between WLAN owners. However, Technology Services cannot guarantee interference-free operation of any WLAN from other unknown or non-college WLAN systems or from other devices operating in the same spectrum as the WLAN.
Departments that fail to fully comply with this policy can cause clearly avoidable problems. In order to minimize interference and security problems, systems failing to comply with the above procedures will be identified, located, and disconnected until the problems are resolved and compliance to the policy is confirmed.
Failure to abide by the requirements of this policy and/or any standards or procedures that are developed to implement this policy may result in termination of the user’s or departmental information services and access to the campus network. User’s may also be subject to sanctions, including the loss of computer or network access privileges, disciplinary action, suspension, termination of employment, dismissal from the College, and legal action. Some violations may constitute criminal offenses under local, state, and federal laws. The College will carry out its responsibility to report such violations to the appropriate authorities.